Monday, November 30, 2009

Top Prospect Q and A: DeAndre Smelter

Interview with Top Prospect DeAndre Smelter. Smelter is a RHP from Tattnall Square Academy in Macon, GA. Smelter is currently ranked 18th in the nation by Baseball America. I have been big on Smelter since watching him in San Diego during the AFLAC All-American Game week. Once baseball is the only sport he is focusing on, he could become even better. Look out for a big year!




Jeff Sullivan Question: First off, congrats on signing with Georgia Tech. What made you choose the school, and what other schools interested you?


DeAndre Smelter: Thanks! I really felt comfortable with the coaches and the program. I believe that they can get me better so that I can reach the next level. The two main schools on my list were Georgia and Georgia Tech.



You are one of the top ranked HS pitchers in the nation. Describe how that feels, and how it has an effect on your day to day life.


It feels great! I think it shows that my hard work from Day 1 is paying off. It hasn't had an effect on my everyday life at all. Everybody pretty much still treats me the same.



What pitches do you throw? Where do they usually sit?


I throw 4 seam fastball/ 93-96, 2 seam/ 90-92, Slider/ 83-86, Split 82-84



If there was one thing to improve on between now and the draft in June, what would that be?


I want to improve consistency with all my pitches. I want to be able to locate and throw all of them for strikes consistently.



Last question. Who is your favorite player and what is your favorite team?


I don't really have a favorite player or team, but being from Georgia, I like the Braves. I enjoy watching other teams play as well like the Red Sox, Yankees, and the Angles. As far as a player, I love the way Manny Ramirez plays. He has fun while he's playing like every other player should.

No comments:

Post a Comment